Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Milk-Chocolate Creams

I love anything chocolate, especially something cold fudgy and creamy. This recipe is from the June issue of Martha Stewart Living and goes together quickly--just steam the milk, pour it over the milk chocolate and whirl it and a couple other ingredients in the blender.

Milk Chocolate Creams
Martha Stewart Living, June 2008
Prep Time 5 min. Total time 65 min
Serves 4
12 ounces milk chocolate, roughly chopped
1 cup light cream
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
coarse salt
4 large egg yolks
Strawberries and raspberries, for serving
  1. Place chocolate in a blender. Bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepan. Immediately remove from heat, and pour over chocolate. Blend until smooth.
  2. Blend in vanilla and a pinch of salt. With the machine running, add yolks. Blend until well combined. Pour about 3/4 cup chocolate mixture into each of four serving bowls.
  3. Freeze, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Then refrigerate, uncovered, for 30 minutes. (The texture should be soft and creamy.) Serve cold with berries.

Note: The egg yolks in this recipe are not cooked. This dish should not be prepared for pregnant women, babies and other young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.
------------
For this recipe I couldn't find light or table cream in the store here so in consulting with my Food Substitutions Bible, (don't cook without it!) it stated to use 1/2 regular cream and 1/2 regular milk which seemed to work pretty well. Because of the raw egg yolks, it is important to use fresh eggs from a reliable source--mine were the local ones I picked up this weekend at the farmer's market. I like to serve desserts like this in my Japanese teacups which are a bit smaller than the bowls pictured, so I got 5 desserts instead of 4. I think based on how rich this dessert is--it was plenty. This is a great summer dessert with it's cool creaminess and one I would make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)