Thursday, May 13, 2010

Soy Joy Blueberry & Emergen-C: Product Reviews

I'm still trying to catch up and get back into the swing of things--cooking, blogging, homework, life, etc. after a busy week so I thought I would post a couple of product reviews today.

First up--As part of the FoodBuzz Tastemaker program, I had the opportunity to try the newest flavor of SoyJoy bars--Blueberry. Described by the company as: "SoyJoy offers an all natural mix of real fruit and ground whole soybeans. Whole soy is a naturally powerful food rich in protein, fiber, antioxidants and B vitamins. Plus, Blueberry SoyJoy bars have 0 grams trans fat, no hydrogenated oils, no artificial flavors or colors, no preservatives or chemical additives and they have only 140 calories!"


The bars are small--more snack size than a breakfast bar, and each bar contains about 140 calories, 4 g of fiber, and 4 g of protein. The ingredient list isn't too bad--mostly whole and natural ingredients, and it is certainly better than the highly-sugared, more artificial snack bars out there.

The taste--This was my first SoyJoy experience and I actually liked these bars much better than I thought I would. The appearance of the bar made me think it would be crumbly and dry, but it was actually tender--sort of like a chewy bar cookie. The flavor is good--sweet without being too sweet, and there were plenty of chunks of blueberries in there.

I think they are a good snack to have in a purse or briefcase when you are on the go and you need something to tide you over. With the fiber and protein they contain, the bars are pretty satiating for their size. All in all, a good little bar and one I would be inclined to purchase.

----------------

I received a two-week sample pack of Emergen-C from the company for taking a survey on their products. Now I am a longtime Emergen-C user, especially for travel (I put a couple packs in a bottle of water for plane trips), or for when I am feeling run down and it seems like my immune system might need a boost. I am fairly predictable though--generally choosing either the Cranberry-Pomegranate or the Tangerine flavors. My sample pack came with those, as well as Super Orange, Raspberry, and my new favorite flavor--Tropical.


I saved my sample kit to try when I thought I would need it to give it a proper "test." With seasonal weather changes kicking up my allergies, some added life stress, and some extra hours to plan a big event last week, it was the perfect time to try them. I decided to double up and have two packs a day for a week. Now I don't know whether it was truly the packet's "1,000 mg Vitamin C and 24 Nutrients with Antioxidants, Electrolytes and 7 B Vitamins" or simply the power of suggestion, but my stuffy allergy head never turned into a cold, asthma or bronchitis (sadly the norm for me), and I ended my week feeling a little tired but good. So, based on my unofficial trial, I will keep buying my Emergen-C packs and using them when I feel I need them. Better safe than sorry! ;-)


Thanks to FoodBuzz, SoyJoy and Emergen-C for giving me the chance to try some new flavors!

Hope your week is going well!

6 comments:

  1. We have these SoyJoy bars here, never tried them though, maybe I will now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try those SoyJoy bars..I'm always looking for good on-the-go snacks. (Although larabars are my tried and true bar-of-choice!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've still got to try my SoyJoy bars. I've never seen those packets of vitamin C, that is perfect! I am all for taking extra vitamin C, especially when my students are hacking and coughing all over my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen the SoyJoy bars. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't entirely see the point of all that soy if they mix it with skim milk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    My husband uses Emergen-C every day. A co-worker of his mentioned it to him so he gave it a try and he's hooked! He likes Tangerine too. :)

    I've never tried SoyJoy bars. I noticed in the ingredients list you posted that the "blueberry" bar has more raisins in it than any other fruit! I'd rather have a handful of freeze dried blueberries and a glass of soy milk (not a big fan of raisins, hehe). :)

    Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)