Friday, November 25, 2011

Brussels Sprouts and Wheat Berry Slaw with Smoked Paprika Dressing

Lest you think it was all stuffing, mushroom gravy and decadent Sage & Rosemary Mashed Potatoes gracing my holiday plate, there was also something a bit healthier, Brussels Sprouts and Wheat Berry Slaw with Smoked Paprika Dressing. This dish caught my eye in the November issue of Sunset Magazine and since I had some wheat berries in my pantry I decided to make it. Although it was from an article on Thanksgiving vegan side dishes, I think it also makes a great grain salad for a winter's lunch.


Sunset says, "Instead of using currants, you could try shredding a small sweet apple into the salad. Adding wheat berries to salads like this one gives them texture and makes them even more nutritious." (I chose to add dried cranberries to my version--I like the pop of color and their sweet/tart flavor.)

Brussels Sprouts and Wheat Berry Slaw with Smoked Paprika Dressing
Recipe by Adenna Sussman, Sunset Magazin
e, Nov 2011
(Serves 8--Makes 7 Cups)
Time: About 1 1/2 Hours

1 cup wheat berries
About 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
About 3 tbsp. sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika
3 tablespoons dried currants (I used 1/3 cup dried cranberries)
3/4 pound brussels sprouts

Bring 1 1/2 qts. water, the wheat berries, and 1/2 tsp. salt to a boil in a medium covered saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until wheat berries are tender but not mushy (some should start to burst), about 1 1/4 hours. Drain.

2. Whisk 1/2 tsp. salt, the pepper, oil, 3 tbsp. vinegar, the paprika, and currants together in a large bowl. Let stand while wheat berries cook.

3. Cut brussels sprouts into fine shreds, preferably using a food processor with a slicing disk or a mandoline. Add brussels sprouts and wheat berries to dressing mixture and toss to coat. Taste and add more salt and another splash of vinegar if you'd like. Serve immediately.

Make ahead: Through step 2 up to 1 day, chilled. Bring to room temperature.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 173, Calories from fat: 38%, Protein: 5g, Fat: 7.7g, Saturated fat: 1g, Carbohydrate: 23g, Fiber: 4.3g, Sodium: 201mg, Cholesterol: 0.0mg


Notes/Results: Once the wheat berries are cooked, this tasty salad goes together in no time--especially if you use a mandolin to shred the sprouts. The smoked sweet paprika adds great flavor to the vinaigrette and contrasts nicely with the dried cranberries. The wheat berries are nice and chewy, making this a satisfying salad or side dish and making me realize I need to cook with wheat berries more--I forgot how good they are. ;-) The recipe directions say to serve immediately, but it also tastes good cold and I'll be noshing on the leftovers for lunch. I would make this again.


What's a grain you want to cook with more often?

5 comments:

  1. looks like you had a delicious thanksgiving :) I don't know if I can find brussels sprouts, though I have seen them here, but this slaw looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wheat berries are for sure my favorite grain...I love that chew! Turning side dishes into vegetarian mains is one of my favorite hobbies. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic! Shredding brussels sprouts is my favorite way of "preparing" them...and I think cranberries was definitely the way to go here. The tang and the pop of color must be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, love this! I love Brussels sprouts and I'm always looking for new ways to use it. I'll be making this next week for sure. Lately I've been rotating between wheat berries, quinoa and kamut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks insanely delicious, but I gotta say that I would be afraid to slice those small little sprouts on my mandoline, although I would consider getting out the finger/hand guard for this recipe. The dressing sounds fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)