Thursday, November 17, 2011

Garlic Roasted Salmon & Brussels Sprouts: Easy, Healthy Fall Fare

Are you a Brussels sprouts fan or foe? I didn't like them much myself until I started blogging and Tyler Florence got me to love them with his Brussels Sprouts Salad with Pancetta and Cranberries. Since then I have made them with bacon, in soups, with lemon and poppy seed and have grown a little more fond of them each time I eat them


The November/December issue of Eating Well had quite a few "taggable" recipes that I wanted to make, but the one that I kept going back to was the Garlic Roasted Salmon with Brussels Sprouts. It's a one pan dish, simple, made in my underused roasted pan, and full of the flavors of garlic and oregano.

You can also find this recipe on the Eating Well website: here.


Eating Well says, "Roasting salmon on top of Brussels sprouts and garlic, flavored with wine and fresh oregano, is a meal that is simple enough for a weeknight meal yet sophisticated enough to serve to company. Serve with whole-wheat couscous."

Garlic Roasted Salmon & Brussels Sprouts
Eating Well November/December 2011
(Makes 6 Servings)
Active Time 25 min / Total Time 45 min

14 large cloves garlic, divided
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano, divided
1 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
6 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced
3/4 cup white wine, preferably Chardonnay
2 pounds wild-caught salmon fillet, skinned, cut into 6 portions
lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Mince 2 garlic cloves and combine in a small bowl with oil, 1 tablespoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Halve the remaining garlic and toss with Brussels sprouts and 3 tablespoons of the seasoned oil in a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring once, for 15 minutes.

Add wine to the remaining oil mixture. Remove the pan from oven, stir the vegetables and place salmon on top. Drizzle with the wine mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oregano and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bake until the salmon is just cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes more. Serve with lemon wedges.

Per serving: 334 calories; 15 g fat ( 3 g sat , 9 g mono ); 71 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 33 g protein; 3 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 921 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (107% daily value), Potassium (27% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Magnesium (17% dv)

Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat


Notes/Results: Wonderful flavor. The fresh oregano, enough cloves of garlic to stop a vampire, ;-) and crisp white wine combine well for a savory and really tasty dish. Besides a little peeling and chopping in the beginning, this recipe goes together very quickly and effortlessly. The only change I would make is that I would have caramelized my sprouts just a smidge more before adding the salmon. Otherwise I wouldn't change anything. The magazine recommends serving it with whole wheat couscous but I ended up just eating it without a starch and was perfectly satisfied. A great little recipe that I will make again.


So..., Brussels sprouts--do you love them or leave them?

4 comments:

  1. looks colorful as well as delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super passionate about my love of brussels sprouts...they are my go-to roasted veggie in the winter! I crave them like crazy.

    This dish sounds delicious! A hint of elegance but easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful meal, Deb! I love brussels sprouts a lot and thankfully so does my daughter. Between the two of us we really knock them out. Love all the garlic in this one...14 cloves isn't messing around, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love brussel sprouts, especially with BACON and apples. Your dish looks very appetizing.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)