Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chocolate French Toast "Sandwiches" from Donna Hay


We are celebrating sandwiches at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week. I was going to make a savory ahi tuna sandwich but when I saw Donna Hay's wonderful stack of sandwiches made of Chocolate French Toast from The Instant Cook, I knew I had to make them.


Chocolate French Toast 
Slightly Adapted From The Instant Cook by Donna Hay
(Serves 4)

16 slices soft baguette
100 g (3 1/2 oz) dark chocolate, melted
(I added a pinch of sea salt)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk (I used almond milk)
2 Tbsp icing (confectioner's) sugar, sifted
butter for frying
icing (confectioner's) sugar,  extra, for dusting

Spread half the baguette slices with the melted chocolate (I sprinkled with a little bit of sea salt) and sandwich together with the remaining slices. Combine the eggs, milk and icing sugar, then dip the sandwiches into the mixture. Cook in a large buttered frying pan over medium heat for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Serve warm and dusted with icing sugar.


Notes/Results: Here's the thing, I like French toast sorta, kinda. It's OK. Not something I would usually order for breakfast but I'd try a bite off of your plate--especially if it was stuffed with blueberries or something. ;-) However, melt dark chocolate between two slices (and sprinkle with the smallest pinch of sea salt) and eat it like a (messy) sandwich and it elevates it into something I could love. This was yummy. I used a smooth 70% dark chocolate bar and with the kiss of salt, it was rich and decadent with out being too sweet. I made 3 "sandwiches" out of 6 small baguette slices so that I would have enough to photograph and could only eat two. But what a two they were. ;-) Breakfast, lunch, dessert or a snack this is a simple indulgent treat that I would make again.


You can check out all of the different Donna Hay sandwich creations by going to the Sandwich Sensations post at IHCC and following the links.


***The New Southwest Cookbook Spotlight Giveaway!***
Don't forget to enter to win a copy of The New Southwest Cookbook by Meagan Micozzi! Check out my review of this fantastic new cookbook and get the details on how to enter.
14 copies are being given out and there are many ways to get extra entries!

 

13 comments:

  1. Any excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast and I'm so there! This looks rich and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I am all for chocolate for breakfast. And lunch. And dinner. And dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! Sometimes you just have to go for it and indulge in a little chocolate for breakfast! I would've used a touch of salt too because it really does bring out that chocolate flavor. Looks really tasty, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love French Toast with that bread, that whole idea has me sold alone...such great photos of it. My guys would absolutely love this recipe with the chocolate...this will be a surprise treat for them some weekend morning soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate for breakfast, these would definitely bring a round of smiles to my kids! Haha! Great choice for a sandwich, chocolates are always welcome anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks super decadent and super delicious! I would serve it for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yowza! Killer way to start the day! These are holiday french toasts! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elegant pictures! The crunchy toast and the melting chocolate, absolutely sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful feast. It making my mouth water :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Deb, that is one indulgent breakfast! I love it! Especially with the bittersweet chocolate & that little sprinkle of salt :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Couscous & ConsciousnessNovember 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM

    I have to admit that I love French toast, Deb - absolutely one of my favourite breakfasts, and often times my breakfast/brunch of choice if I'm eating out. Sandwich it together with chocolate, and that to me is one happy, happy sandwich. Love your addition of the little bit of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. French Toast with Chocolate. YES PLEASE! Great sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like French Toast and am so happy that such a thing as Chocolate French Toast exists! Can't wait to have a chocolate sandwich for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)