Friday, May 5, 2017

Raspberry and Honey Cranachan: An Unusual & Tasty Scottish Dessert

Happy Cinco de Mayo! The perfect day to share...a classic Scottish dessert! It's Raspberry and Honey Cranachan--sort of a fruit fool, only with toasted oats and a touch of boozy goodness added. 


Timing has never been my strong suit. I actually enjoyed this slightly unusual dessert on Cinco de Mayo-Eve ;-) and although it's maybe not the thing for a Mexican food feast, with summer on the horizon and fresh raspberries becoming plentiful, it's a great warm weather dessert. 


This recipe comes from River Cottage Every Day although you can find it on Food 52 as well. In the book, Hugh has a rhubarb variation there too if that is what is in season where you are. According to Hugh, cranachan is apparently a classic Scottish dish of toasted rolled oats, cream, brandy, fresh fruit and honey. Trust the Scots to put oats and brandy into whatever they can. I figure it has most of the food groups and with oats, it can count as breakfast! Hah!

Raspberry and Honey Cranachan
Slightly Adapted from River Cottage Every Day by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
(Serves 3-4)

1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats  
(I added 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon)
2 Tbsp whiskey (preferably scotch but whatever whiskey you have on hand)
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups fresh raspberries
2 Tbsp heather honey (or other favorite honey) (I used Hawaiian ohi‘a lehua blossom honey)

Warm a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the rolled oats and stir until they are golden and toasted – keep a close eye on them, as they can burn easily. (I added a bit of cinnamon to the oats.) Transfer oats to a plate to cool.

Stir the whiskey and cream together in a bowl and then whisk (by hand or with a hand blender) until the cream holds soft peaks. Lightly crush a few of the raspberries, so the juices run. Loosely fold the honey, oats, and raspberries into the cream, spoon into glasses, and serve right away. (Note: I reserved some of the oats and raspberries using some of the raspberries on the bottom and the oats and raspberries as a topping.)


Notes/Results: First off, brandy in whipped heavy cream is a very good thing and should happen often--especially when paired with fresh fruit. I was wondering if mixing in the toasted rolled oats would be odd, but it actually works. Especially when it is eaten immediately and the oats still retain a bit of crunch. The scotch or whiskey--depending on what you have on hand lends flavor and it and it keeps the dessert from being too sweet. Nigel says this dessert serves four--I used slightly larger glasses and got about three servings out of the mix. I layered fresh raspberries on the bottom of the glasses before spooning the cream mixture on top and topping with more berries and a sprinkle of the oats. I think it looks better and I like digging for the berries as I eat. It's a quirky dessert but I liked it and would happily make it again. 


I'm linking this dessert up at I Heart Cooking Clubs where this week's theme is Hit the Sweet Spot!--Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipes for sweet dishes and/or ingredients. You can see what everyone made by checking out the picture links on the post.

 

5 comments:

  1. This looks great - I love cranachan (traditionally it has raspberries too) but would esp love to taste yours with heather honey - you make me think I should revisit my river cottage cookbook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the raspberries Johanna--Hugh said 'fruit' in the description and had it and a rhubarb recipe in the book. I actually didn't have the heather honey Hugh specified but used a local floral honey it its place. ;-) I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. I adore cranachan. Strictly speaking it should have crowdie in it, which is a farmhouse cream cheese, but I've never even seen crowdie for sale so I make it this way too. I tend to add a touch of sugar to the oats so they caramelise as they toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting on the crowdie Alicia--Hugh didn't specify it in the recipe (I get the feeling he isn't too strict) ;-) and I am sure I would never find it here. I like your idea of adding the sugar to the oats for caramelizing and will try that next time!

      Delete
  3. I learned about two things I didn't know about: cranachan and crowdie: thank you Deb and Alicia for talking about them!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)