Friday, June 9, 2017

Lemony Zucchini on Toasted Bread: Simple For Summer

When you have 'had a week' and just need something simple to make, you can't beat toast with a really delicious topping. I had some whole wheat naan bread, a few small, local zucchini, and this simple recipe for Lemony Zucchini on Toast from River Cottage Every Day by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. In a short amount of time, it and a glass of crisp white wine had me transitioning into the weekend.


Lemony Zucchini on Toasted Bread
Slightly Adapted from River Cottage Every Day
(Serves 2)

3 to 4 zucchini, about 1 lb total
2 Tbsp olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 small garlic clove, crushed (I used a large clove)
1/4 tsp fresh thyme leaves (I used about 1 tsp)
grated zest of 1/2 lemon, plus 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 thick slices of bread (I used whole wheat naan)
10 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
extra-virgin olive oil to finish

Slice the courgettes into thin discs. Heat the oil in a largish frying pan, add the courgettes with a large pinch of salt and sauté over a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until their moisture evaporates and they are just beginning to brown a little.
 

Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook for another minute or so, until a little softer and a little more colored. Stir in the lemon zest and juice. Season with a few grinds of pepper and some more salt.
 

Toast the bread. Remove the courgettes from the heat and add the basil. Tip the courgette mixture with all its juices over the toast, trickle on a little olive oil and tuck in.


Notes/Results: The combination of lemon, garlic, thyme and basil is classic and delicious and it really livens up the mild zucchini. In the end, I would probably prefer a good crusty bread to soak up all the juices but the whole wheat naan made it almost pizza-like and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm happy to add this one to my zucchini recipe roster. 


Linking up to I Heart Cooking Clubs where this week's theme is Fresh From the Field--Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipes with fresh, seasonal and local ingredients. You can see what everyone made by checking out the picture links on the post.
 
 
I am also linking this open-faced sandwich up to Souper Sundays, hosted here at Kahakai Kitchen. Each Sunday we feature delicious soups, salads, and sandwiches from friends around the blogosphere--please join in if you have any to share. Here's this week's post and linkup.
Happy Aloha Friday!
 

3 comments:

  1. I can feel it, that expression when you've had a week! Toast is a comfort food for me, I have always loved toast and you turned it into a lovely meal. I hope your week gets better, or next week is better....you know what I mean.
    Tina
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. love toast and zucchini but never would of thought of pairing them together like that. Thanks!

    hope your weekend is a vast improvement on your week.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)